Welcome to my new blog! If you've followed my other blog for a while, you know I am prone to pontifications mixed in with my family news and pictures. I've decided to archive all my "thinking out loud" pieces from the past here, and put all my future ones here as well. Looking for family news & photos? Check out Moments at the Manse.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Shades of Gray

I’ve been thinking about people in a new way lately . . . there is a couple I’ve come to love who is a picture of this contrast I’m about to discuss. I’ll have to introduce you to them. Come to think of it, you might recognize them!

Sally is a delightful, fun-loving girl. She is involved with the children’s ministry and loved the variety of personalities that she sees In the children. She thrives on doing things in the moment, spontaneity is her game. She’s reluctant to set up strong boundaries because children are all so different that they can’t all have the same rules! She sees most areas of life in shades of gray. There isn’t a right way to do everything. It just depends.

Joe, Sally’s husband, is a calm, processing man. He is the one who takes attendance each Sunday, writing down each person’s name who is there and keeping records of it on the computer. He thrives on a thorough discussion of the details of most anything. He’s very intelligent (as is Sally) and recognizes the value of order – I’ve been told he even folds his laundry on its way to the washer! He sees most areas of life in black or white. There is a right way to do almost everything – large and small - in his eyes.

Observing this couple and their interactions has made me realize that all of us see life as either mostly black and white or mostly shades of gray. I would tend toward more black and white, and Darrell – shades of gray.

The most brilliant observation on this topic came from my husband. We were talking about this and he said, “You make the greatest difference in the areas you see as black and white.” So the BIG point? Make sure you’re viewing the most important thing – serving Jesus – as black and white. And be a fanatic about it.

2 comments:

  1. Big hugs from your realistic, bossy, all-up-in-your-business sister. Love you more than words can say. I have learned so much from you and look forward to more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a truly great idea! Your thoughts are so encouraging and I am glad you share them this way. It is wonderful you are using this talent for him. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments are welcome - I'd love to hear your response to my writing - even if it's negative - as long as it's nice! :>) Thanks for signing your name to your comments as well.