Welcome to my new blog! If you've followed my other blog for a while, you know I am prone to pontifications mixed in with my family news and pictures. I've decided to archive all my "thinking out loud" pieces from the past here, and put all my future ones here as well. Looking for family news & photos? Check out Moments at the Manse.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

The contrasts of the parsonage

I may write a bit more about the role of Pastor's Wife another time . . . here's a taste of my world.

This week, I have:
  • had a meal and meeting with girls whose husbands . . . well, lets just say they live very comfortable (financially secure) lives
  • had a couple join us for supper who is homeless
  • sent groceries home with a sick family from our church
  • received an unexpected check in the mail
  • sent supper for tonight and frozen stuff for next week to another family in a challenging situation
  • had my lunch (and my kids' lunch) bought for me by a friend.
  • enjoyed the company of a couple of mamas of young children - my dear friends with whom I have a million things in common
  • chatted for an hour with an alcohol dependent woman, with whom I have very little in common - but one thing, the great need for Grace
  • listened, graciously, hopefully, to a bit of criticism for the pastor
  • listened to the happy call of a neighbor boy to his grandmother, "Can I stay and sword fight Pastor Darrell??" Then I got to watch as he fought off the attack of four preteeen/teen boys at the same time! :>)
Its this contrast in my world that keeps my feet on the ground, and my face looking up to Him, hands reaching out to him - I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

3 comments:

  1. I have never met you, but we have a mutual friend--Linda Shiery. Her niece, Jennifer Truitt told me about your blogs. I really enjoy your writing, and I feel like I respond to the beating of your heart! I, too, have contemplated these contrasts that we swing to in just a short amount of time. Sometimes when I go to bed at night, my head is just swimming! But God always give grace and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz ~ Connie here again ~ I would like to place a link to this blog from mine under women's ministry resources. I have your personal blog under my list of friends because I would like to get to know you better, but I would also like for my friends to see the beautiful perspective you have from your parsonage. You can email me at conniesnodgrass@bellsouth.net. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been secretly looking into my life? LOL! This meets me where I am!

    I am enjoying your writing! Keep it up! (On those "free" days you have! wink, wink!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments are welcome - I'd love to hear your response to my writing - even if it's negative - as long as it's nice! :>) Thanks for signing your name to your comments as well.