Welcome to my new blog! If you've followed my other blog for a while, you know I am prone to pontifications mixed in with my family news and pictures. I've decided to archive all my "thinking out loud" pieces from the past here, and put all my future ones here as well. Looking for family news & photos? Check out Moments at the Manse.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Perspective

This morning I happened to pick up the book "What Every Mom Needs" (by Elisa Morgan and Carol Kuykendall). It is written by the founder of MOPS. (Mothers Of PreschoolerS) Honestly, I've felt the need for some perspective - so here in the chapter about Perspective I found these four Myths and the Reality that corresponds.

Myth #1: If you control everything, life works.
Reality: You can't control everything.
You have to go with the flow.

Myth #2: I should do it all and all right now.

Reality: I can't do it all, but I can do what's important.


Myth #3: The best way to make it through mothering is to grin and bear it till it gets better.

Reality: Enjoy today. Make the most of life's irretrievable moments . . . now.


Myth #4: Mothering is serious business and the lives of your children are at stake at every moment.

Reality: Lighten up. Children are resilient. Handle them with honesty and humor.

I put the Myths in bold because they are what we hear naturally from the infamous, sometimes screaming, voices in our heads, but we have to, on purpose, look for the Reality.

A group of girls and I have started a MOPS group here in our area - I'd encourage you moms to consider starting a group or finding a group in your area. There is no real virtue in being the Lone Ranger Mommy (although I tried that route) - I have been very encouraged by the other moms in our group. If you have questions about starting a group, I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Happy Mothering!




3 comments:

  1. "Myth #1: If you control everything, life works.
    Reality: You can't control everything.
    You have to go with the flow."

    This applies even if you are not a mother- it is a lesson I am still learning. I enjoy reading your thoughts.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,

    Thanks for the reminder to constantly see what is real. It's easy to lose sight of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. It is so easy to listen to those voices in our head...and stay in a beaten down, discouraged state. I have needed to learn and am still learning how to be realistic in my motherhood approach and in other areas of life. Keep posting these thoughts...they are so helpful. I would love a MOPS group...maybe I will check into that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments are welcome - I'd love to hear your response to my writing - even if it's negative - as long as it's nice! :>) Thanks for signing your name to your comments as well.